Boat North Dakota (the official Department boating course)
The Game and Fish Department offers the Boat North Dakota course for those who are new to boating or who wish to take a refresher. (The course is required for youth ages 12-15 who want to operate a boat or personal watercraft with at least a 10 horsepower motor). There is no charge for the home-study course and your insurance company may offer a discount on your premium. The course is intended for persons at least 11 1/2 years of age (Note: North Dakota law does not allow a youngster to operate a watercraft until age 12, therefore, a certification card will not be issued until the graduate is 12 years of age).
- Home Study Course - Free of Charge
Order a free Boat North Dakota course. Write Nancy Boldt, North Dakota Game and Fish Department, 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501-5095, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 701-328-6312.
- Online Course - Cost - See providers listed below for cost.
The online Boat North Dakota course, unlike the home study version, is not free of charge. Upon completion of the test and after providing a credit card number, students can print a temporary certification card. A permanent card will be mailed within 10 days.
Formal Boating Safety Classes
Game and Fish Department outreach personnel stationed around the state are available to assist organizations with formal boating safety classes. Contact the nearest person below for more information:
- Education and Outreach Administrative Secretary: Janet Wolf: 701-328-6615.
- Administrative and Water Safety Coordinator: Nancy Boldt, Bismarck - 701-328-6312.
- Bismarck Region Outreach Biologist: Pat Lothspeich - 701-328-6332.
- Minot Region Outreach Biologist: Greg Gullickson - 701-857-7748.
- Fargo Region Outreach Biologist: Doug Leier - 701-281-1220.
- Grand Forks Region Outreach Biologist: Marty Egeland - 701-739-6982.
Kids Don't Float
Designed for youngsters ages 7-11, this course teaches safe boating practices, rules of the road, the dangers of hypothermia, and most important - how life jackets save lives. For more information about Kids Don't Float, contact:
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers offices in these cities: Bismarck, 701-255-0015; Jamestown, 701-252-7666; Valley City, 701-845-2970; Fargo, 701-232-1984; and Riverdale, 701-654-7411.
- North Dakota Safety Council, Inc., at 701-223-6372 or 1-800-932-8890.
- North Dakota Game and Fish Department, 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501-5095 or call 701-328-6312.
Download the Kids Don't Float brochure (1.4Mb PDF).
Winter Ice Safety
Download the Safety on Ice brochure (440Kb PDF) - learn to tell good ice from bad, minimum thickness for various activities, and rescue techniques.