Northern pike and nongame fish are the only legal species for darkhouse spearfishing. Daily and possession limits are listed in the Fishing Regulations Guide. Darkhouse spearfishing is legal from December 1 through March 15 of each fishing year. All waters open to hook and line fishing are open to darkhouse spearfishing except the following fishing waters which are closed:
- Braun Lake – Logan County
- East Park Lake, West Park Lake, Lake Audubon – McLean County
- Heckers Lake – Sheridan County
- McClusky Canal
- New Johns Lake – Burleigh County
- Red Willow Lake – Griggs County
- Sweet Briar Dam – Morton County
In addition to possessing the needed valid fishing license, all individuals who participate in darkhouse spearfishing must first register on the North Dakota Game and Fish Department Online Services website, or through any Game and Fish Department office, prior to participating.
Specific darkhouse spearing regulations may be found in the Fishing Regulations Guide.