The North Dakota Game and Fish Department manages five public shooting ranges on its wildlife management areas. These are generally open to the public year around. However, the Department may periodically close these shooting ranges for routine maintenance, improvements and special events. The current status of each range is listed below.
MacLean Bottoms (two miles south of ND Highway 1804, approximately 15 miles southeast of Bismarck): OPEN.
Wilton Mine WMA (two miles east of Wilton): OPEN, but use discretion as the .25 mile entrance road is in very poor condition due to the wet fall. Game and Fish plans to upgrade the road in 2014.
Little Heart (Schmidt) Bottoms (12 miles south of Mandan off ND Highway 1806): OPEN.
Riverdale WMA (two miles southwest of Riverdale): OPEN.
Lewis and CLark WMA (six miles southwest of Williston): OPEN.
Range Map (Note: Map will open in a new window. Within the map click on a range icon to see detailed information about that range).
Keeping these ranges open is the responsibility of all users. Please help educate and enforce the following rules for the safety of all. If you witness violations please call RAP at (800) 472-2121.
- No tracer rounds or exploding targets.
- Shooting from sunrise to sunset only.
- No alcohol on range.
- Only paper or cardboard targets allowed.
- Shooting allowed only from benches to designated targets (no shooting bottles or any other trash materials such as garden produce, computers etc.).
- Only handheld or shoulder fire rifles allowed.
- No fully automatic weapons or any device that allows a gun to shoot fully auto.
- No .50 caliber centerfire rifles allowed.
- No gun handling when anyone is beyond firing line.