The Department's Private Forest Conservation Program provides a multi-year rental payment for maintaining and protecting native woodland habitat on private land.
General Program Guidelines
Landowners enroll in the PFCP through a conservation agreement and choose from two agreement options:
- Short-term agreement – landowner receives an annual $12 per acre rental payment and has the option to renew annually within a 3-6 year agreement period.
- Long-term agreement – (limited funding) landowner receives an upfront payment based on forest acreage, and term of agreement. Agreement term ranges from 10 to 30 years.
Landowner must agree to:
- Prohibit permanent clearing of the forest.
- Prohibit grazing, forest subdivision and agricultural use.
- Allow the Department to sign and publicize the tract open to walk-in hunting.