- Water (especially from streams, rivers, ponds and lakes) can contain harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites
- You may become ill after drinking water from these sources
- Beaver Fever (Giardiasis)
How can I get sick?
- Drinking water contaminated with animal or human feces
How can I protect myself?
- Bring safe or bottled wa
- Boil all stream, river and lake water at a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes before using for:
- Preparing food
- Brushing your teeth
- Avoid swallowing water when swimming in streams, rivers and lakes
- Protect water sources: – Bury waste far away from any water
Beware: Chemical disinfection and filters may not kill all bacteria, viruses or parasites
Not feeling well?
- Recognize common symptoms of waterborne disease:
- If you develop symptoms:
- Drink plenty of safe water
- Use oral rehydration salts
- Contact your doctor as soon as possible
- Tell your doctor that you may have swallowed contaminated water
Beware: Some water-borne diseases can be transmitted from person to person