Geospatial PDF Viewer
ArcGIS Explorer App | Avenza (Geospatial PDF) App
Mobile Apps are native applications (applications that are downloaded and installed on a mobile device as opposed to using the browser).
Geospatial PDF maps can be very useful when hunting, fishing or hiking in North Dakota where many areas do not have good cell reception. These maps can be downloaded and saved on a smartphone prior to going into the field. Once in the field, the phone’s GPS can be used to display the user’s current location on the map. No cell service is required since the map is already stored on the phone.
To use a geospatial PDF on a smartphone a specialized application like Avenza Maps Mobile App must be installed. Avenza Maps Mobile App is currently free (though the free version limits the number of maps that can be loaded to 3 at any one time) and can be downloaded from both the Apple and Android stores. See below for more information.
Popular Department Geospatial PDF Maps
Using the Avenza Maps Mobile App
SUPPORT: The North Dakota Game and Fish Department is unable to provide support for problems that may be encountered when installing and using the Avenza Maps Mobile App software. Please see the Avenza support website for software information and installation help.
After installing the Avenza application, maps can be added in a few different ways. The example below shows how to load a map from a URL on an iPhone. This process will look somewhat different on an Android.
Note: Many of our maps are available for free from the Avenza store as well. To find them search 'ndgf'.
iPhone Load Map from URL Example
1) To add a map (limit 3 maps in free version), click on the + sign at the top of the app screen.
2) Choose "Tap to enter a URL of a map".
3) Enter the URL of the map you want to download (ex. https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/hunting/plotsguide/map_sheet23.pdf) then click on "Go".
4) The map will show up in the "Imported" list (it may take a minute or two to download).
5) Tap on the map in the "Imported" list. The map will open. If you have your phone's location services turned on and you are within the map's boundries, a blue dot will show your location.
6) You can zoom in and out.
7) Use the pin icon to drop a pin/bookmark onto the map.