Wildlife Food Plots Seed Promotion
The application period for 2024 is March 4 through April 5, 2024.
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department is offering free seed for the 2024 growing season to landowners interested in planting wildlife food plots for pheasants.
This program is meant to assist interested landowners with habitat, as well as provide food for pheasants, deer, turkeys and a variety of other animals.
This mix is a diverse species, multi-season seed mix that will
- attract insects (the major diet component of pheasant chicks),
- provide needed cover during spring and summer, as well as a winter food source.
The Department will provide enough seed to cover up to a maximum 5-acre planting at no cost to the landowner.
The seed mix includes:
- Common Vetch
- White Proso Millet
- Jackhammer Radish
- Sunflower (oil)
- Grain Sorghum
- Crimson Clover
- Purple Top Turnip
- Dwarf Essex Rape
Most Game and Fish food plots are part of the Department’s Private Land Open To Sportsmen program, but this food plot campaign does not require a PLOTS contract.
- The Department does ask participating landowners to allow reasonable public access, such as opening land to youth hunters.
- Another option simply could be putting up Ask Before You Enter signs.
- Landowners participating in the promotion cannot charge a fee for hunting.
Game and Fish private land biologists can provide technical assistance on food plot location and site preparation.
Landowners interested in additional financial incentives may be considered for the PLOTS program as well. More information is available by contacting a private land biologist.
Landowners who are interested in receiving the food plot seed must sign up online by April 5.
Seed will be available in April at Game and Fish offices in
- Devils Lake
- and Riverdale.