If you would like to receive a text or email alert when new hunter education classes are scheduled, please click on 'Subscribe' below and signup.
Hunter Education Requirements for North Dakota
By law, who must take a certified hunter education course prior to obtaining a firearm or bow hunting license?
- Persons born after 1961
- Persons younger than 12 years of age (By state law youth under the age of 12 may hunt only under direct supervision of a parent, guardian or adult authorized by their parent or guardian. The youth must also have the appropriate license(s) for the species they are hunting.)
- Persons who hunt exclusively on land of which they are the record title owner or operator
- Persons who obtain an apprentice hunting license
NOTE: Proof of hunter education certification must be presented when buying or applying for a hunting licenses (official courses offered by other states and Canadian provinces meet these requirements).
Hunter Education Courses
There are two types of hunter education courses offered by the North Dakota Game and Fish Department:
- Traditional Hunter Education: 14-hour course taught entirely in the classroom.
- Home Study: 14-hour course time split between classroom and online study (there is a $17.95 fee to take this course online).
Courses focus on safety, ethics, laws and regulations, landowner relations, wildlife identification and conservation.
Students generally receive their hunter education card in the mail 7-10 days after successfully completing a class. Hunter education certificate numbers may be found online once the records for a completed class have been processed.
Hunter education classes are taught by volunteers across the state and are held primarily during the spring and early summer months. In some areas a few classes may be available during the late summer and fall depending on volunteer instructor availability.
To view a listing of currently available classes or to enroll in a class click on the button below.
For any questions about the course email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hunter Education Number Lookup
If you have lost your hunter education card, you can find your hunter education number and reprint your card by accessing your account on the Department's Online Services.