Skip to main content - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
Alert: COVID-19 Related Closures and Information (Note: Department offices are open to public access by appointment only.)

Watercraft Registration Frequently Asked Questions

Watercraft Registration FAQs

How soon after registering online will I receive my new registration card and decals?
Expect to receive them within 5 to 10 days. A 10-day temporary registration is given at time of your online renewal.

What if 10 days have passed since I renewed online and I haven't received anything yet?
Email us at us or call the Game and Fish Department at 701-328-6300 for assistance.

What do I need in order to use the online registration renewal system?
You must have your renewal card, old registration card or registration number from your watercraft. You must also have a valid credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover). Debit cards are also accepted.

What if my browser is experiencing problems using the online registration renewal system?
You may need to adjust your browser's settings or upgrade to a newer version. North Dakota Game and Fish assumes no responsibility for late registration renewals due to technical problems involving online transactions. A notification will be posted if the system is unavailable due to maintenance.

Do I need to send the Game and Fish Department anything if I use the online registration system?

Are there restrictions related to what types of watercraft can be renewed online?
Yes. Public owned watercraft cannot be renewed online.

How secure is my credit card information that I submit?
Your data is encrypted while being electronically transmitted to and from our system. Your credit card information is not stored in our system.

Is there an additional charge or discount to use the online registration renewal system?

Can I use the renewal system and have a bill mailed to me instead of using a credit/debit card to pay online?

What time of the day can I use the system?
The system is normally available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A notification will be posted if the system is unavailable due to maintenance.

Can the online registration system be used for new registrations or transfers?
Yes, all boat registrations are done online including new registrations and transfers.

What do I do if my registration has already expired?
You may still use the online registration system as long as the expiration of your last registration is not over six years old. You may decide to renew your registration in person at the Bismarck Game and Fish office to obtain your decals immediately. A 10-day temporary registration is given at time of your online renewal. You can expect to receive your decals and new registration within 5-10 days after registering online.

Can I renew more than one watercraft at a time?

Will I receive an order or confirmation number when the transaction is complete?
Yes. Once the transaction is complete, you will receive a confirmation number which also serves as your 10-day temporary registration number. The confirmation number will also be emailed to you if an email was supplied when you placed your order.

How will I know if my transaction was successful?
After you reach the confirmation page you will know that the transaction was processed successfully and your credit/debit card was accepted. Make sure you wait for a response because the transaction may take a few moments to process. If it was not successful you will receive an error message. Do not resubmit a renewal if it was processed successfully.

Will I get a receipt or confirmation via email?
Yes, if you supplied an email address. However, your email confirmation only serves as a 10 day temporary registration. You will receive your registration card and decals in the mail within 5 to 10 days from the date of online registration renewal.

What should I do with my renewal card once my transaction is complete? 
The renewal card can be thrown away after you receive your registration card and decals in the mail.

What if I need to change my address?
You change your address online as you are renewing your watercraft. If you would like to report an address change and already have a current registration on your watercraft, email us at us or contact the Game and Fish Department at 701-328-6300.

Will I receive confirmation of the address change in the mail?