Giant Liver Fluke
Commonly infected wildlife
Is this animal infected?
- Animals rarely show external signs
- Livers may by swollen and lumpy (see photo)
- Purple-gray, flat, oval-shaped worms (fluke) may be seen in the liver
- Worms vary in size from 1/2"-1-1/4" wide and 1-1/4"-3-1/4" long (some reports claim up to 4 inches long)
Can I get it?
- Liver flukes do NOT affect the meat
How bad can it get?
No risk to humans
Protect myself and others
- The meat of infected animals can be eaten, BUT
- Discard infected liver
- Infected liver is unappetizing
Symptoms in humans
- None – people are not at risk
Safe for pets?
What causes it?
- A flatworm (fluke) called Fascioloides magna